Today’s post is not a story, it’s just a collection of links to the interesting resources that could be useful for you in this epic journey.
Actually, I’ve read only two books about Elixir-lang. Both of them were pretty good so I’d like to recommend to you to read both.
- „Programming Elixir ≥ 1.6: Functional > Concurrent > Pragmatic > Fun” - Dave Thomas. The biggest advantage of this book is that - it was written for the people that came from the OOP world. I think you are one of them, so read it, it’s useful and light. - Goodreads
- „Elixir in Action” - Saša Jurić. Handy, good but not better than the previous one in my opinion. Anyway, it’s worth to read it. - Goodreads
Concurrency in Elixir
Concurrency is something that we don’t have in PHP so it might be new for you. I recommend you read/watch these videos/articles:
- Elixir and The Beam: How Concurrency Really Works - DEV
- Concurrency and parallelism with Elixir and BEAM
- Concurrency in Elixir @ warsaw.ex #8 - PL
Metaprogramming is the next thing that we don’t have experience in PHP language. It’s a powerful tool! Be careful with that, because you can create some dragons in your castle.
- ElixirConf 2017 - Don’t Write Macros But Do Learn How They Work
- Metaprogramming in Elixir @ Elixir Warsaw Meetup
One of my favorite things in this language is pattern matching. This language construction enables us to write clean, simple code without tons of if-statements. Of course, pattern matching has tons of other advantages. Check it out!
Hey you! Share us your resources :)
If you’re reading this and do you think I omitted any important learning materials - send them in a comment to this post. Another way is to add them directly to the page via Pull Request to the post. I think it will be useful for many of us.
I will update this post whenever I’ll find something that might be interesting for all of you. Feel free to contribute!